If you think your rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) within one year of the date of violation. Visit www.dfeh.ca.gov or call 1 (800) 884-1684 (voice) or email contact.center@dfeh.ca.gov. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please call (800) 884-1684 (through California’s Relay Service by dialing 711) or (800) 700-2320 (TTY) or email contact.center@dfeh.ca.gov. You may also be able to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (eeoc.gov).

You can also contact a legal helpline to get free legal help. Legal Aid at Work offers a free Work and Family Helpline (1-800-880-8047 for California residents), exclusively focused on workers’ pregnancy, parenting, and caregiving rights. Bet Tzedek offers free legal services (call 1-323-939-0506) for Los Angeles county residents. They are two examples of non-profit organizations that will advise workers on their leave rights.